Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:06:56 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD manual sets (was: yacc documentation)

At 1:27 PM -0500 2/26/02, Adam Turoff wrote:
>Do you mean the ones that were in the jointly published USENIX/O'Reilly
>5-Volume 4.4BSD docset?

Bingo.

>What's the copyright status on those papers?

These papers are in the 4.4BSD distribution, but missing from the FreeBSD
distribution, largely because of copyright issues.  AFAIK, these issues
are now resolved, so the papers should be OK for anyone to include.

>I was overjoyed when I found all five volumes in one fell swoop a couple
>of years ago.  Would it be possible to reprint them in their entirety
>today?  Would it be possible to work with USENIX to produce a new version
>of something similar and up-to-date?

I also own a set, which I guard zealously.  OTOH, the sales of these sets
sagged with each version, eventually getting to the point where publishing
more was deemed impractical (i.e., not enough projected sales to merit an
offset print run).

In the meanwhile, however, I have been working on setting up DOSSIER, a
demand-publishing service for Free and Open Source software.  DOSSIER is
already publishing selected documents from the FreeBSD distribution and
could, in theory, print up a complete FreeBSD manual set.

In fact, I considered doing a FreeBSD manual set, but decided that it
would be so large that it would be inconvenient to use.  Here are some
numbers, tallied from /usr/share/man/cat?/*.gz in FreeBSD 4.5:

   section    docs     lines     pages
   =======    ====    ======     =====
   1           590    203929      3375
   1aout         8       743        15
   2           212     19770       400
   3          2019    355702      6371
   4           239     29909       568
   5           118     25387       443
   6            43      4412        89
   7            36     16484       269
   8           335     47434       890
   9           274     27174       540
   Total                         12960

The "pages" value is derived by counting lines and rounding up to whole
pages.  The values are somewhat inflated (section 3 contains multiple
copies of some man pages and troff output is a bit more compact than
nroff output), so let's figure 10 K pages of manuals for FreeBSD itself.

That's 20 volumes at 500 pages each, and we haven't added in the papers,
let alone the docs for anything in the Ports Collection.  Pulling down
several volumes to solve a given problem doesn't seem real convenient...

Consequently, DOSSIER provides topical volumes (e.g., "File Systems:
FreeBSD"); each volume contains a "working set" of documents on a given
topic.  I'm open to suggestions, however; if folks want a particular
collection and I can print it, I'll be quite happy to do so!

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.