Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 1995 11:35:24 EST
From:      "M.C Wong" <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>
To:        ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu (Guy Helmer)
Cc:        shane@et.pronex.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: modems

> On Sat, 1 Apr 1995, Shane Anderson wrote:
>
> > Well, I have taken the kind comments and suggestions and continued
> > to try to get a dial in connection, but to no avail.  Neither my
> > microcomm 28.8 nor my viva 14.4 (19200) will work.  They both
> > answer the phone fine and establish a connection, but high-order
> > garbage is still the order of the day.
>
> A problem I've seen is not locking the dialing modem at the terminal's
> speed; it appears when a high-speed connection is made, the modem's serial
> port speed seems indeterminate depending on the type of connection (in
> particular, I've seen this problem with a 28.8 modem to 14.4 modem and a
> 14.4 to 28.8).  On the USR Sportsters I'm familiar with, "AT&B1" locks the
> modem's serial port at the data rate used to issue the command, and it has
> solved the problems I've seen here...

I have had the similar problems here with both different ways of dial-in :

1) Using a Tektronics XT-320 in VT-100 mode connected to a Netcomm
   V.34 modem and dial in to a FreeBSD box also connected to a same brand
   and model V.34 modem. Tried 2400,4800,9600,19200 on the dump terminal.
   Using AT command to dial in.

2) From a 1.1.5.1 box connected to a Dynalink 14.4K modem and dial-in to
   the above FreeBSD box. Using kermit to dial in.

In both case upon connection I get either :

a) No login prompt, absolutely nothing. After a few minutes wait and many
   key presses, I start getting garbage characters.

b) Get garbage characters straight away, and upon key press, more garbage
   characters.

I tried the suggestions above by AT&B1, but that doesn't help either, 8-((
The only thing that seens to work for 1) from a dumb terminal is that I
kill the getty job running at the dial-in port /dev/ttyd1 (COM2), and have it
respawned, and I get a nice login prompt in a few seconds!

Any more advices or suggestions ? Thanksin advance.