Date:      Sun, 08 Aug 1999 23:00:47 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Morten Seeberg" <morten@seeberg.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial Terminals

Examine section 14.2 of the handbook /usr/share/doc/handbook.latin1

But in short a terminal and a computer generally need a modem
eliminator to connect them together.  Get one at Radio Shack (i
don't know if there is an equivelent in Denmark) or build one your
self.  For dumb terminals you only need pin 2 3 and 7 live. The
cable can be wired as follows:

    2 -> 3
    3 -> 2
    7 -> 7

Have fun!
chris

"Morten Seeberg" writes:
    Hi, Iīve gotten hold of a HP 700/96 serial terminal, and was wondering, how
    to find more info on hooking it up to my FreeBSD?

    I tried using the 25p to 25p cable which came with it, used a 25p to 9p
    connector, and connected it to my FreeBSD, then changed:

    ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup off secure

    ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure
    Didnt work :)

    How do I reload ttys, without rebooting?

    The terminal has 2 serial connectors (a 25pin and a 9 pin), are they alike?
    Can I just hook it up to the serial port? (donīt know much about serial
    terminals).

__
Chris Fedde	  <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
303 773 9134