Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 12:32:45 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        LART <lart@mfn.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum & ad driver

Please limit the line length of your text to < 80 characters.  Please
leave computer generated messages the way they were.

On Saturday,  5 August 2000 at 20:26:29 -0500, LART wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>     We are trying to set up vinum, and would like to use the "ad"
> driver (we would like to see a striped array for our (6) 60gb ide
> drives).
>     Experimental configs like:
>
>         drive a device /dev/ad2s1
>         drive b device /dev/ad3s1

This should be a partition, not a slice.  From the man page:

   Where to put the data
     The first choice you need to make is where to put the data.  You need
     dedicated disk partitions for vinum. They should be partitions, not de-
     vices, and they should not be partition c. For example, good names are
     /dev/da0e or /dev/wd3s4a. Bad names are /dev/da0 and /dev/da0s1, both of
     which represent a device, not a partition, and /dev/wd1c, which repre-
     sents a complete disk and should be of type unused. See the example under
     DRIVE LAYOUT CONSIDERATIONS above.

>         volume newsspool
>         plex org striped 128k
>         sd length 60000m drive a
>         sd length 60000m drive b
>
>     always return "*** n : Invalid argument" on the "drive" lines of
>     the config.  we have tried substituting /dev/ad2, /dev/ad2s1e,
>     /dev/ad2e, etc., with the same results.
>
> Please say this isn't restricted to "da" drives :-)

This isn't restricted to da drives.  This is pilot error.  Have you
read the section HOW TO SET UP VINUM in the man page?  If you have any
trouble with it, please let me know.  You may also like to check out
http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html.

Greg