Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 07:39:43 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fixit.flp on a Serial Console

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> I was thinking about it. Never built a PicoBSD release before.
>
> It seems like it should not be too hard. The troubled machine boots up
> fine into multi-user with a 'login:' on the console. The problem is
> that there is some corruption in the login database and no users can
> get past the 'login:'. I need to get to single-user, but even though I
> get a serial console once I'm in multi-user, I don't get the boot
> prompt or messages to the serial console to break into single-user.
>
> Any other ideas are welcome.

Yeah, tell me about it. Just wiped a perfectly operating OpenBSD
machine - well... it was taking it's time (over 24 hours) on 'make
test' -ing a BIND9 beta... - and installing FreeBSD 4.2 dist. in
mint condition! When I couldn't log in after reboot.

Tried all the obvious permutations, all to no avail. Haven't hooked
up no serial TTY so I'm just reinstalling once more. Who's counting?

Didn't make no 'regular' users, either. Then again, you've got two
fields to enter other group invitations; thus a fifty/fifty chance.
Knowing my luck... ;).

As usual using my standard Master Control Program (remember Tron?)
password (heck, remember Burroughs!), but nooooo..... No typo
either! I don't like this. This is almost like work.

Other ideas? Well, I took the short cut. Reinstall and be done
with it.

Roelof

PS Passive FTP installs (just to indicate releases for interested
parties)

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.
Nisser home -- http://www.Nisser.com/