Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:02:07 -0500
From:      Robin Cutshaw <robin@XFree86.Org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Robin Cutshaw <robin@XFree86.Org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build timings - FreeBSD 4.2 vs. Linux

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 12:21:26PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:

> > Any ideas as to why it would take almost three times longer to build
> > on FreeBSD?
>
> This is probably a silly question, but you did recompile the kernel for
> SMP, right?

Actually, I was using the stock GENERIC UP kernel.  I wanted to get a
baseline.

> Have you tuned the FreeBSD kernel?  It still ships with a worst-case
> configuration so that it runs optimally on i386 cpus. :-(  Copy GENERIC
> to something else and remove all but 'cpu i686', rebuild and install.
> Also, get rid of 'sl', and 'ppp' from the kernel config as that messes
> up certain things (interrupt masks).  Ideally, do a proper cleanup and
> configure it for your specific hardware (ie: remove all the other ethernet
> drivers, etc).

There's a problem here.  I tried to configure an SMP kernel but when it
booted the fxp0 (Compaq dual eepro100 adapter) got timeout errors and
wouldn't work.  I went back and did the config/make on the GENERIC
kernel and booted it.  Same thing.  The stock GENERIC kernel that came
with the dist works just fine.  Any ideas?

One other problem I've seen with the Compaq 8500 system.  FreeBSD doesn't
see the pci adapter on the secondary bus.  I had to move the ethernet
adapter to the primary bus for it to work.

> A couple of possibilities..  If you want to compare the two side by side,
> try mounting the freebsd filesystems in async mode, just like linux does by
> default.  In particular, make sure you get /tmp, /var/tmp and wherever your
> build is.

OK, I set softupdates on the disk/partition that the build source/target
is on.  It made no difference in timing.  I then created a memory disk,
set softupdates on it, and mounted it as /tmp.  AMAZINGLY, the build
went from 2:50 to 0:40, now much faster than the Linux system.  I'm
going to do the ram disk thing on Linux and see if it makes a difference.

Once I figure out the fxp0 problem from above, I'll do a parallel build
and see what speedups occur.

Thanks!
Robin
--
----
Robin Cutshaw         internet: robin@interlabs.com robin@intercore.com

    "Time is just one damn thing after another" -- PBS/Nova
----