Date:      09 Aug 2002 00:05:11 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <H@Schmalzbauer.de>
To:        Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB-Console, is it brain-damaged?

Am Do, 2002-08-08 um 23.46 schrieb Kevin Stevens:
> On 8 Aug 2002, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
>=20
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anybody has ever thought about a "USB-Console".
> > Currently I have the problem that my laptop doesn't have any RS232 and
> > my servers (and switches etc.) are headless. Now I wanted to purchase a
> > RS232 to BlueTooth adapter (BT is the thing my laptop has built-in) but
> > even if I agreed with that horrible prices nobody can deliver such a
> > product.
> > Then I decided to by a RS232 to USB cable which brought me to that idea=
.

> > Since I'm a really fastidiuos (well, thats what the dictionary said)
>=20
> I'll bet it didn't.

Hmmm, have a look at http://dict.leo.org and enter "fastidious" or
"verw=F6hnt"

>=20
> > newbie UNIX-user (since four years) I don't really know much about
> > "terminals" and the underlaying serial idea (esp. VTxxx). I know serial
> > transmissions in all (un-/modulated) kinds quiet well, in fact 10 years
> > ago I constructed some converters for rs232 to centronics, but just fro=
> > the hard wire (or the HF/RF carrier)!
> >
> > Since I always wanted to start learning C and I'm still fascinated like
> > a child when I can control some RS/6000 with my HP Jornada (via RS232!)
> > I think this would be a funny project.
> >
> > Please correct me,
> >
> > -Harry
>=20
> Ok, I'll correct you.  This list is for freebsd-QUESTIONS.  Your post
> wasn't about freebsd and didn't contain a question.

Correct, (exeptec the freebsd claim, I meant freebsd) but considering
-stable -current and -hackers I decided to ask here first, perhaps some
others have the same problem.=20

>=20
> If you're trying to say that you want to run serial console connections
> directly over USB, it would require some hacking to get the tty/vtys to
> listen to that device.  Doable, but probably not nearly as useful as the
> hardware USB-serial converter you already have.

It's an opinion. I don't share that. Thats why I asked on QUESTIONS.
Perhaps I should have gone to CHAT

Sorry for that,

-Harry