Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 04:30:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        Daniel Stehm <daniel.stehm@verizon.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: woohoo! FreeBSD here I come... with a question or 2

>prefer working on a 266mhz AMD K5 circa 1997 running FreeBSD,
>XFree86, Afterstep, Vim, Mutt and Mozilla to working on a 550mhz
>PIII running NT. (Okay, my FreeBSD box is due for an upgrade...)

Nah. Freedom from Winbloat also means freedom from the tyranny of mHz.
Most of what I do is write, and nothing I ever did *required* a PII
...  except Windows!  Heck, the only reason for a graphic interface at
all is to allow me space for a dozen terminals.  =)

>If you've never used a UNIX-like environment, you'll have a lot of
>reading ahead of you (the on-line Handbook is essential... also
>"UNIX Power Tools", "TCP/IP Network Administration" and "Essential
>System Administration" from O'Reilly are good books to get your
>feet wet). But you will learn a tremendous amount about computing
>and operating systems in general.

Yes, and do make sure you have Greg's "Complete FreeBSD" (which is
where I would start).  It does a great job of explaining things in
plain language.

-d