Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:45:57 -0600
From:      "Oscar Castaneda" <oscarcvt@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   workstation firewall, how secure is it?

hi, recently i finished configuring a firewall (isa bussed 486 PC), but out
of bad luck (ignorance i guess) i plugged a "HDD LED" in the mother board
and now, the pc wont boot (not even get far off the ram count) all i get is
an invalid system disk prompt,

while i resolve that, im running <yuck> MS internet connection sharing
<yuck/> on my pc workstation. Im freaking over having my front door open all
night welcoming crackers inside..

I have freebsd installed, and im considering configuring it as a firewall
using ipf and ipnat. However I dont want too many tradeoffs in functionality
and usability (X for example). Still i wonder how secure a solution this is.
??

Does anyone have any recomendations?  unfortunately i don't have a spare pc
i can use, all i have is my current (functional thank god) workstation...
are there any howto's or guides for carrying this out on a pc workstation i
will be using ALL day?

thanks to all,
oscar