Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 2003 13:28:26 -0800
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad Hibernation

I'm cheered to hear of your success getting a ThinkPad X30 to hibernate.  As
it turns out, I'm attempting the same feat with two T23's, and if that works
will try again with an X21.  So far, however, there is no success.  Needless
to say, I have questions:

1. How did you control hibernation?  Nearly as I can tell, the only
   handle on the T23 is the BIOS hibernation timer.  Supposedly, that
   only works if you select hibernation instead of sleep -- or so the
   BIOS prompting leads me to believe.  When I select hibernation,
   nothing happens, but that could be for other reasons ...

2. I gather you ignored the documentation for stndalhd.exe, which says
   not to select the hibernation partition option, and to select
   creation of a hibernation file in a FAT partition instead.  It also
   seems you put the hibernation partition after Windows and before
   FreeBSD.  Did order seem to count?  Could you see any reason why
   Windows, FreeBSD, and then hibernation shouldn't work as an order?
   Or NTFS Windows, FreeBSD, FAT32, and then hibernation?

3. You used NTFS for your Windows partition.  Do you know of any reason
   why an initial FAT32 Windows partition should mess up the works?

4. Slightly off topic, you say you used NTFS for your Windows partition.
   The Win2k pre-install on the T23 uses FAT32, and the IBM product
   recovery CD insists upon creating a FAT32 file system, so I had to
   use convert.exe to get NTFS.  That leaves NTFS with completely open
   file and folder permissions.  Did you follow a similar procedure, and
   if so, what did you do about permissions?

Incidently, Windows 2000 Pro seems also to insist upon using c:\hiberfil.sys,
just like your observations of XP.

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide.
--
M/S 258-5                     | 1024-bit PGP fingerprint: | tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center     |  41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59 |      (650) 604-4416