Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 05:06:12 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up: src/games/boggle (tm) will soon be removed from

At 4:54 AM -0600 2/19/98, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> In the case of "Adaptec", etc. I am certain that we would be willing to
>> add the usual line that acknowledges it to be the trademark of Adaptec,
>>Inc.,
>> a California Corporation.
>
>An operating system went to see a lawyer for a checkup.
>
>The lawyer said "Well, I have some bad news; you're going to die".
>
>"Jesus (Monroy)!", said the OS, "Isn't there anything I can do?".
>
>"Well", said the lawyer, "you could delete Tetris..."
>
>"But counselor!", said the OS, "I already deleted Tetris!"
>
>"Well", said the lawyer, "You could delete Boggle..."
>
>"But counselor!", said the OS, "I already deleted Boggle!"
>
>"Well", said the lawyer, "You could delete all your other games..."
>
>"But counselor!", said the OS, "I already deleted all the other games!"
>
>So there was the OS: a sinking ship with no baggage to throw overboard.

Terry -
I happen to agree with you that rather than removing the functional
(notice that I did not say UTILITARIAN) code, we should change the
offending spelling.

At the same time, I am pointing out that your other "examples" are just
red herring. In the latter case, we ARE using the trademark of another
corporation. However, we are doing so in a non-infringing manner and
all that it is necessary to do is acknowledge that it is their trademark.

Richard Wackerbarth