Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:49:59 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall error adding disks..

> Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 16:07:32 -0400
> From: Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
> Subject: Re: Sysinstall error adding disks..
>
> scanner@jurai.net wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to add 2 18GB Seagate Cheetah drives with sysinstall on /a and
> > /b. So I can use them with Vinum. This box is a Dual proc, Dell Poweredge
> > 2400. The 3 drives in it are the same cheetah drives. They are hot
> > swap drives. Sysinstall had no problems labeling and installing on the
> > first one. I even had these other two mounted as /stripe0 /stripe1 on the
> > first install. But then i had problems with newfs -v setting up Vinum so i
> > figured id low level format them and reinstall. Everything seems fine with
> > the first SCSI disk but the other 2 sysinstall refuses to label.
> >
> > When I go to label the disks sysinstall vomits with:
> >
> > Error mounting /dev/da1s1e on /a : Invalid argument
> >
> > In a dialog box, and behind it I see:
> >
> > DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype -
> >
> > I have never had a problem using sysinstall to add disks. This box is
> > supposed to go into a data center today. The box its replacing died and
> > my employers of course want it installed yesterday. I have never seen this
> > error. Anyone know how to resolve this?
>
> Do you have the necessary devices in /dev?
> If not, run MAKEDEV
>
> - -Bill

I had the same problem recently, same error message.

So today I went into /dev and did "sh MAKEDEV all".  I had done a ls>
outputfile earlier in order to do a comparison, the ls after doing
that was *identical*, so I presume no devices were added.

Yet today it seemed to recognize the disk OK, in fact it recognized
it so well that when I used disklabel (from sysinstall) to mistakenly
set the mountpoints on the new disk slices to where they were on the
primary disk (instead of /mnt) I lost all access to this remote
system, so I get to pay it a visit with a floppy now.. sigh.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium