Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:52:39 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Port Maintainers

For some time now I've seen many requests come to the ports mailing list
which really should be handled by the maintainers of individual ports, not
the people who look after committing PRs.  As usual, the standard response
is "contact the port maintainer".  At first I wondered whether it was simply
inexperience or ignorance that caused people to turn to the ports list for
assistance, but over the last few months, I'm beginning to think whether the
problem lies on the other side of the equation with the maintainers
themselves.

Not to pick on maintainers (since I maintain a few low-traffic ports myself
and realize the volume of mail that can result), but I've sent mails to the
maintainers of some pretty important ports (db-2.77, cyrus, apache13-fp for
starters) and was not impressed with the results.  In most cases I simply
never received an answer to my emails, and in few rare occurences, received
an answer after about a month's time -- usually by that time a new release
had emerged or the problem that I was seeing had been overcome.

What I'm wondering if is there is any mechanism in place to ensure that the
support channel (e-mail to the port maintainer) remains open and valid.  I
know that at least one port for which the maintainer's email address bounces
mail.  There may also be some ports for which the designated maintainers
simply don't maintain the port anymore.  It would be advantageous to all if
a periodic validation of these contact points could be performed (once per
RELEASE would seem like a logical period to me.)

Any thoughts?

--
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services