Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:35:34 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: where have all the ports & sysinstall packages gone ??

> Perhaps the packages you are looking for are not on the first
> package CD. Did you check for the packages on the second package
> CD?

I've only ever downloaded the single CD ISO image .... well thats not
totally correct because I did start with a 2 CD set back in 3.2 & a 4.2
one a few weeks ago, but it had so many bugs I kept trying to download
the image .... first one got corrupted but second attempt was OK.

> As long as you keep you ports collection to date you should have
> no problems. > There are example cvsup files that come with the
distribution.
> You just need to install the cvsup binary and use one of the examples to
keep
> your ports up to date.

If the official docs were more intelligible and / or I had more free time, I
would
probably have figured out CVS a while back. I notice a few "simple english"
resource sites popping up lately with proper step_by_step explanations, so
hopefully there's a few usable things about CVS there.

> When you say "from source" are you refering to ports? Or directly from the
> program's original sources?

from original sources ..... a few things have worked fine that way
(typically ones
with a well commented makefile) but others (eg mgetty & cyrus) have
extremely
terse docs & consequently are way beyond my ability to comprehend.

> Port installs should get uninstalled with pkg_delete and that has worked
for me
> most of the time. There were some changes to the ports which made old
installs
> not unistall cleanly, but if  you install again and unistall it should all
get cleared.

OK ...... I'll try that suggestion next time I encounter an application that
refuses to go :)

> >I tried a heap of times on several machines to get imap & apache to work
from ports
> >but kept getting weird error about something missing or error 1 (whatever
that means)'

> If you are going to use ports you really need to cvsup to the latest port
tree.

What I need first & foremost is to find an explanation of how /what / CVS is
on about,
how to configure it (ie ALL the necessary steps & not just the chapter
headings) !!!!
Thankfully a few people are finally filling in the gaps. I keep adding to my
Pedantic
FreeBSD too & usually refer to something with almost every install I do.

.