Date:      Wed, 05 Jun 1996 19:14:07 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/tty and nits in 2.2-960501-SNAP

> > Things I note thus far:
> >
> > # ls -l /dev/tty
> > crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    1,   0  5 Jun 10:16 /dev/tty
> >
> > really wants to be:
> >
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    1,   0  5 Jun 10:16 /dev/tty
> >
> > otherwise xterm cannot open it. Breaking xterm is a Bad Thing (tm).
>
> Hmmm...
>
> I wonder if this change should wait until the xterm sets the ownership
> on the pty (ie: maybe it should not happen at all).  Specifically, you
> really don't want someone to be able to open the slave side before the
> pty is allocated, and has a master -- maybe not even then, until the
> program that grabbed the master provides the slave process itself?

Hmmm...

One of these days I should really sit down and understand masters and
slaves and ttys and ptys and such. I'll just add it to my list of things
to do.  Maybe I'll get to it before my kids go off to college in ten
years. :-)

All I know is the permissions in the tar file don't match what I get if
I remake the device entries with MAKEDEV. I also know that xterm works
on dozens of platforms, including FreeBSD 2.1R. Now that doesn't mean I
think xterm is perfect, or even good. In fact I think xterm is a big
piece of shit. Nevertheless, it works.

I'm just letting you all know about what looks like a problem. If FreeBSD
is really planning on changing the default permissions of the device
entries, I think it would be a good idea to fix xterm to work with the
new permissions, and while you're at it submit a bug-report to the X
Consortium or XFree86 with the necessary changes to xterm.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY