Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:05:46 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, rdivacky@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: epoll workaround for linux java?

Quoting Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> (from Mon, 17 Jan 2011
16:54:49 -0500):

> On 01/17/11 07:24, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> (from Sun, 16 Jan 2011
>
>>> Last, is there any workaround to be able to use a linux
>>> jvm? Perhaps by using a different linux base? What
>>> would I be giving up?
>>
>> Normally it is a combination of linux_base and the sysctl
>> compat.linux.osrelease. In our kernel there is a difference between
>
> I think I *may* have found a workaround.  If I start java with the
> argument
> -Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider
> I get much, much, much farther along.

I added this as a workaround for such cases to the wiki page
(http://wiki.freebsd.org/linux-kernel).

> It would still be nice to have epoll support. :)

I agree. Feel free to improve it so that it works after fork()ing.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.
		-- Messiah's Handbook: Reminders for the Advanced Soul