Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:44:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        brooks@FreeBSD.org, rpaulo@FreeBSD.org, ivoras@FreeBSD.org, brueffer@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Magic symlinks redux

In message: <200808222241.52325.jhb@freebsd.org>
            John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> writes:
: On Friday 22 August 2008 10:05:11 pm M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <20080823013912.GA19588@epsilon.local>
: >
: > : I hope this is what Warner was trying to say.
: >
: > More or less the following, with a less lame way of getting the table
: > into the kernel, and maybe more fields than vendor/device....
: >
: > The reason this works is that the pci_get_vendor and pci_get_device
: > read out of the area pointed to by cfg.
: It might be nice to drive it by hints so users can tweak it on the fly.  Maybe
: something like:
:
: hint.pci0.<slot>.<func>.vendor=XXXXX
:
: Then users can simply add entries to /boot/loader.conf w/o needing any
: recompiles for new device IDs that the driver can handle using an existing
: device id.
:
: The lookup table you have still requires patching source somewhere which
: probably defeats the purpose.

That's the whole "less lame of getting data into the kernel" I was
talking about.  The above was to show the concept, not an actual
implementation of the data.  I don't like the hint idea so much, but
was looking for some other way to get the data into the kernel.

Warner