Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:06:09 -0800
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        David Frascone <frasconebulk@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to boot / install a mac?

Hi Dave,

> I think I'm becoming an expert on installing BSD on macs now . . .
> I've done it many times :)
>
> But, I would like some advice from those who are also doing it:
>
> 1) Is there any alternative to 4-fingering the boot?

  You can set up a CHRP boot script on the bootable partition to
automatically boot into FreeBSD. This is what the install CD does
(src/release/powerpc/boot.tbxi).

  See also:

     http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-ppc&m=112950480911251&w=2

> Also, why not wipe all partitions and boot from TFTP to get the
> loader?  Would that work?

  For a long time there was no native partitioning tool, and even now
I'm not sure if g_part can do it. Also, the loader can't read HFS, and
that's the usual filesystem used for a boot partition.

  I think it's possible to use iso9660 as a hd boot partition, though it
would require the creating of an iso filesystem image on the fly to
populate the partition.

> i.e. boot enet:,loader -- and then let loader somehow find the kernel
> / filesystems on the disk?

  As above on loader/HFS support.

> 2) If you don't care about OS X, is there any alternative way to
> partition the disk?  My powermac does not have a DVD drive in it, so
> I have to plug in a PC drive to boot off of my OS X dvd.  I'd prefer
> to repartition more natively -- even if it means getting the loader
> via TFTP.

  My suggestion is to
     - boot up in firewire target mode (hold down 't' as the system boots),
     - hook it up to a machine running OSX/OS9/Linux
     - format a HFS boot partition. Copy the loader (and boot.tbxi) into
this.
     - format the remainder of the disk as you see fit
     - install from CD or the net.

later,

Peter.