Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:00:25 -0700
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question re. using fdisk

I have a 10Gb disk drive and currently I've only used the first 8Gb.
Now I'd like to make use of the additional 2Gb past the 8Gb boundary.

I tried using fdisk to write the following:

g c1222 h255 s63
p 1   6       63  1847412
p 2 165  1847475 14426370
p 3 165 16787925  2490075
a 2

Specifying a DOS partition at the beginning, followed by a FreeBSD
partition which extends up to the location on the disk where the BIOS
would write Hibernation information, followed by another 2Gb partition
starting at the 8Gb boundary and extending to 10Gb.

What fdisk says it will write to the disk is:

Information from DOS bootblock is:
1: sysid 6,(Primary 'big' DOS (> 32MB))
    start 63, size 1847412 (902 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 114/ sector 63/ head 254
2: sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 1847475, size 14426370 (7044 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 115/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 1012/ sector 63/ head 254
3: sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 16787925, size 2490075 (1215 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 21/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 175/ sector 63/ head 254
4: <UNUSED>

Obviously partition 3 is WRONG.  It seems to be subtracting 1024 from
the beginning cylinder number, which I can understand since the BIOS
would probably not understand a cylinder number greater than 1024.

Would it be safe to simply edit partition 2 to have the same starting
location and extend the ending cylinder to 1222 (the end of the disk)?
This would allow more space in the partition (slice) 2.  Then I can
create a new FreeBSD partition inside slice 2 which starts at the 8Gb
boundary and extends to the end of the disk.

Is editing an existing slice to extend it (while keeping the starting
location the same) safe?  I would think so, but I want to make sure
before I potentially blow away all of my info!  :)

/raj