Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2013 08:11:23 +0100
From:      "Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to build a liveDVD

Hi,

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> I've created a lot of times USB keys which acts as a FreeBSD live system,
> [...] Is there some kindo of tutorial to do the same based on a DVD

I once exercised my ISO 9660 producing program with this:
  https://wiki.freebsd.org/AvgLiveCD
It booted up to a menu, at least.

The difference between booting from USB stick (or hard disk)
and CD/DVD/BD is that the BIOS will not start the booting
by executing code of the Master Boot Record, but rather
lookup the El Torito Boot Catalog to execute the Boot Image
file.

In the wiki example step 4 the Boot Image is the file boot/cdboot.
It obviously was created as /tmp/R/boot/cdboot by the "make"
commands in step 2, or else the mkisofs run would not find it
and fail. The Boot Catalog gets created by mkisofs.

The shown mkisofs options will not only work with mkisofs
but also with genisoimage and with my program xorriso
(by its emulation: xorriso -as mkisofs ...options...).

Have a nice day :)

Thomas