Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 18:13:03 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        pechter@shell.monmouth.com
Cc:        gryphon@healer.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeNix?

    Bill> Well... folks BSD is more or less dead -- at least as far as
    Bill> the commercial world goes.  I hate to say it -- staying
    Bill> compatible with 4.4 when the rest of the world has passed it
    Bill> buy is a mistake.

I think this is precisely the *wrong* attitude to have with regards to
our project.  Our system is an *alternative* UNIX to the rest of the
world---a BSD UNIX.  That's why I went with FreeBSD in the first
place.  Esix, Interactive, Solaris, and the others would all let me
develop the applications I wanted.  Even Linux would.  But I wanted
BSD UNIX.

And I got it, by golly.  And I'm sticking with it.  I'm not going to
use continue to use FreeBSD if it becomes FreeSVR4.  It's *not* a
mistake to keep ourselves 4.4 compatible.  That's a desirable feature!

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

Recite entire movie scripts (e.g. "The Road Warrior," "Repo Man,"
Casablanca,") almost inaudibly.
-- One of 120 ways to annoy your roommate.