Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 22:20:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      support@webring.org
To:        questions@freebsd.org

Subject: WebRing Is Integrating with Yahoo!

We've been busy making changes to the WebRing system, and we want to
tell you all about it!

Big News
The current status report on the WebRing homepage
(http://www.webring.org/status.html) mentions
we are making changes and improvements to the system as we integrate
with Yahoo!.  As many of you have been through a transition like this
before, we wanted to tell you about the changes before they happen, keep
our lines of communication open and give you some pointers in advance to
make the move simple, fast and easy.

The First Step:  Get your Y! ID
Get a Yahoo! ID and password now for free access to Yahoo!WebRing and
all other personalized Yahoo! services.  As with all other Yahoo!
personal services, you'll need to sign up for a Yahoo! ID.
http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_register?.intl=us&new=1&.done=http%3a//www.webring.org&.src=wbr&partner=&promo=&.last=

For WebRing RingMasters and Members, the Y! ID will allow you to
associate your rings and sites in the new system, and access all the
great communication tools, service and products that Yahoo! offers. We
encourage you to sign up now for your Yahoo! ID and get ready for the
all the exciting things to come.

New WebRing Features
For a long time WebRing RingMasters and Members have shared ideas and
input with the WebRing staff. We have incorporated many of your ideas
into the new system.  One of the most exciting, and most requested, new
features is the server side navigation bar.  Rings are often broken, or
dysfunctional, if the navigation HTML fragment is incorrect.  We've
worked out a system that allows the navigation bar to be customizable
yet is served from the WebRing servers, minimizing complicated
instructions and easy-to-make mistakes.

Ownership of Content
We have been asked if the integration of WebRing into Yahoo! will affect
the ownership of the content on members' pages.  We would like to assure
you that it will not.

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
The existing WebRing links and navigation will continue to function for
a period of time after the transition. We encourage RingMasters to
migrate to the new system and communicate with Ring Members about the
move.  The  WebRing community will receive notification of the
transition, complete with instructions on where to go and what to do.
We just want you to know it's coming and stay tuned....

We always appreciate your feedback and your active participation in
WebRing.

The WebRing Team