Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:18:09 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
To:        John <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE to 3.4-STABLE upgrade

On 07/02 14:03, John wrote:

> can anyone tell me how 3.0-RELEASE to 3.4-STABLE upgrade can be
> accomplished? I have tried upgrade from /stand/sysinstall but after all
> the warnings, it tries to log onto ftp2.uk.freebsd.org and says it cant
> find 3.0-RELEASE - it does this with the primary site as well.

Get cvsup, and update your source tree to -STABLE -- look at the file

  /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

then 'cd /usr/src' and 'make upgrade'  This is the a.out to ELF transition
process.  This requires about 320Mb free space in /usr.

Once this has finished, recompile your kernel.  Also, recompile GENERIC and
copy it to /kernel.GENERIC

Good luck!

gjvc

--
[gjvc]                                                   Powered by SMP FreeBSD
"256 pennies is one hexadecimal dollar." -- D.E. Knuth   http://www.freebsd.org