Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:54:22 -0400
From:      Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>
To:        Joseph Koenig <joe@jwebmedia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade gone bad, please help

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:37:59PM -0500, Joseph Koenig wrote:
> At this point, I have upgraded my src as it was out of date before I
> upgraded via sysinstall. The system is up and running, although far from
> stable. My question is, at this point, have I done enough damage to
> everything that using sysinstall to upgrade is out of the question, or can I
> reboot my old kernel and try the sysinstall since my src is now up to date?
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

I cannot answer the question about damage; but I do recall something
about sysinstall being deprecated for upgrades? Does the list have an
opinion on this?

I am sorry that damage recovery is not something I have a
comprehensive tutorial on; and I dont' know if I can recommend
anything actually useful. If you have networking set up, and can reach
things on the internet, I'd say go for a cvs oriented upgrade and
utterly skip sysinstall for upgrades. At this point, I just don't know
enough about what might be going on with your system.

Assuming that you have the cvs port installed, this may be what you
need:

>From /usr/src/Makefile

# 1. `cd /usr/src'
# 2.  `make buildworld'
# 3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE' (default is GENERIC).
# 4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE' (default is GENERIC).
# 5.  `reboot' (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
# 6.  `mergemaster -p'
# 7.  `make installworld'
# 8.  `mergemaster'
# 9.  `reboot

Before you run all of this, you should run 'make update'.