Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 17:49:57 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup/3.2-RELEASE

On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 10:22:42AM -0400, J. W. Ballantine wrote:

> I did a sup on my 3.1-STABLE system Friday, early evening, and then
> did a make world and a kernel rebuild/install.  When I checked on the
> make world Saturday am, the screen was locked, so i rebooted the system
> and when it came up the kernel said it was 3.2-RELEASE.  However, the
> system wouldn't start because /bin/sh was not in executable format.
> When I was able to bring up the system using /bin/csh, I looked at the
> make world log and found it failed during an install in the games
> dir because bin was not a valid account on the system, yet bin is a valid
> user in the passwd file.

What is the exact error message?
Show us the piece of your log where ``make world'' process failed.
And tell us what command did you use to make the world.

> Did I sup at the wrong time and get ``bad''  source??
> Is there some major change between 3.1-STABLE and 3.2-RELEASE that resulted
> in the problem, or is there something else going on???

Not that I know of.  I did the similar upgrade (3.1S -> 3.2S) yesterday:
FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE #0: Sun May 16 23:51:55 EEST 1999

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank