Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:16:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        guido@gvr.win.tue.nl (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 install failure: booting from fd0 in stead of sd0

> > Herein lies the rub.  dosdev == 0 means it's a floppy disk.  boot.c
> > converts this into `maj = 2'.  Only if the 0x80 flag is set, it will
> > move to maj = 0 (wd) or maj = 4 (sd).
> >
> > If i read the code right, it looks as if your BIOS doesn't pass the
> > correct value in %dl down to the bootstrap.  (It apparently passes
> > 0 there as opposed to the boot drive BIOS ID.)  Call it ``broken''...
> >
> > Your only chance short of replacing the BIOS is to hack the bootcode
> > on your harddisk so it will never try booting off a floppy again.
>
> I concluded the same. However, how can it be that a previously installed
> NT on a FAT filesystem does boot?

NT has seperate boot records for floppy disks and for the hard disk.
Thus the hard disk boot record can always assume that it will be
booting from a hard disk.

It is unlikely that you would be able to install NT to boot off the
second drive -- even though this is technically allowed by NT, the
lack of a 0x81 (or 0x01) in the DL register at the time the boot code
is called will prevent it fromstarting off the right disk.  You BIOS
is, indeed, in error, and the fact that you don't see it when NT is on
your C: drive proves nothing.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org