Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:54:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        Marko Ruban <marko@dppl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gateway on different subnet

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Marko Ruban wrote:

> Summary of the problem:
>
> Can't assign cable modem gateway (10.17.56.12) to interface
> ed0 with assigned IP (208.59.162.242) - "network unreachable".
>
> I called RCN (my cable provider) and asked them to give me
> a gateway on the same subnet; they said they "don't do that".

    man dhcp.conf(5).  From what I saw there, "option routers" and
"option routes" are what you need to stick into your dhclient.conf.

    Can you add routes by hand and make it work?  If not, then even
the above won't help you.

> Part of solution:
>
> I set an alias for ed0 to 10.17.0.1 and it accepted the cable
> modem gateway as is.  BUT, the packets are sent out with source
> address (10.17.0.1) responses to which, I suspect, gateway doesn't
> know how to route.

    I would imagine you're right.

> Question:  how can I have an alias of 10.17.0.1 and send out all
> packets with source address set to 208.59.162.242 (the IP
> that is actually assigned to the interface - not alias).

    natd?

> P.S. Alternately, how can I force the system to allow a gateway
> that is on a different subnet (like windows allows that).  Who
> can I turn to for help ?

    I'm not a routing guru, but the guy in the next office is.  I'll
ask him.  (tromp, tromp, tromp)

    The answer is this:  run routed in verbose or debug mode, or
listen with rip, or some other network sniffer (you could even ping
the network and see who answers).  You should have a local router
within 30 seconds.

    Failing that, there have been a lot of other good suggestions,
among which probably the best is to switch to DSL.  :-/

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (at yourfit.com)