Date:      Tue, 13 May 2008 16:59:11 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        bakul@bitblocks.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing an installed system from i386 to amd64

> In the 64 bit FreeBSD world, /usr/lib32 contains libraries
> for the x86 binaries and /lib, /usr/lib contain 64 bit
> libraries so a straight install may mess things up.  At the
> very least you should backup your 32 bit root partition --
> but I have a feeling my advice is already too late :-)

heh, not too late, am not *that* impulsive - but I don't
see why this will mess things up ? Surely thats exactly what
I want to happen, for /usr/lib to become 64 bit to go
with the binaries which will aalso become 64 bit.

This isn't a running system bear in mind - it a disc from
another system which is mounted on a separte machine running
64 bitA, so theres no issue with the binaries needing to
run during the changeover.

> Most all old 32 bit ports should work but upgrading them can
> mess things up.  All the new compiles will generate 64 bit
> binaries but any port dependencies on a shared library will

there are no ports on the amchine so this shouldnt be an issue.

> PS: the following may come in handy.  Save it in ~/bin/ldd32.

thats useful, thanks!

-pete.