Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 17:04:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru
Cc:        peter@netplex.com.au, perhaps@yes.no, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amanda port, empty PATCH_STRIP= lines causes trouble

 * Lets consider -stable you care about. If both CVS diff change and patch
 * "unfix" will be backed out, FreeBSD patch will be unable to handle
 * properly non-FreeBSD generated patches. The first reason of "unfixing" was
 * that standard ncurses patches set applies cleanly on all systems excepting
 * FreeBSD (which have abnormal "fixed" patch). Ncurses patches set is only
 * bug trigger and it seems better not wait until another one comes in.

That's why Peter said you can make a port.  What patch other than
ncurses have you encountered that didn't work with the old patch?  On
the other hand, are you aware how many patches now don't work because
of the patch "fix"?

Just because ncurses generates bogus Index: lines (whether they are
ignored by "patch" or not) is no reason to break compatibality with
our own releases and installed user base.

 * 									The
 * FreeBSD patch bug (as result of "fixing" it instead of CVS) is sometimes
 * stealthy and hardly detected which can cause serious undetected damage for
 * anyone who apply some non-FreeBSD generated patch. Of course, I already
 * write that some time ago...

And why doesn't the same argument apply to patches submitted by people
running 2.2.5R?

 * Something is really fishing here!

You mean "fishy"?  Give me a break.  When patch was "fixed" before,
there was nothing within my sight that broke (besides, I didn't even
know that anyone modified patch!).

Now things are breaking left and right, people are submitting "fixes"
to ports that make stuff compile on -current but break -stable, and
you are telling me to shut up because I wasn't watching every single
commit message (I thought that was Bruce's job :p) before?

Satoshi