Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 07:36:45 -0600
From:      Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decisions, decisions

}> It seems that BSD/OS i386 and BSD/OS SPARC have chosen different names
}> for the same function (intr_establish for i386, addintr for SPARC).
}> Obviously I need to choose exactly one name.  I'd like an opinion.
}>
}> For my way of thinking, addintr is closer to the terminology we use.
}> The disadvantage is that the i386 code is riddled with
}> intr_establishes, and this could confuse people importing code.  Any
}> thoughts?
}
}Interrupt connection is a bus method, and typically cascades through to
}bus code at a fairly high level (often the nexus).  Since the nexus code
}is entirely machine-dependant, the name of this function is typically
}irrelevant.
}
}The relevant bus methods are bus_setup_intr() and bus_teardown_intr(); I
}would be inclined to suggest that you use these or some derivative therof
}in keeping with our existing conventions for method implementations.
}
}(ie. nexus_setup_intr if in the nexus code, etc.)

Agreed, using the bus interface is the way to go. BSD/OS does not yet
have the machine independent bus stuff.  Intr_establish() use to
be in FreeBSD and has been replaced.

I believe you should be able to leave the interface alone.  You
will probably want to temporarily smuggle the bit saying that a
driver is MP safe rather than explicitly changing the interface in
a whole bunch of places. Looking I see that it could go in the type
field reasonably cleanly.

Chuck