Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 13:04:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        nick-lists@netability.ie, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, cy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lang/icc doesn't compile c++ sources

On 30 Mär, Terry Lambert wrote:

>> "/usr/include/stdlib.h", line 57: error: invalid combination of type specifiers
>>   typedef       _BSD_WCHAR_T_   wchar_t;
>
> This seems to be a problem with the wchar_t being intrinsic,
> and defined anyway for the compiler.

So we just have to "#if !defined(__ICC)" it? Hmm, I have to test this,
perhaps tomorrow.

>> [piles more warnings chopped
>>
>> This, of course, indicates nothing more than that the linux_devtools
>> package hasn't been installed: a simple "pkg_add -r linux_devtools"
>> appears to fix the problem.  The devtools package should be included on
>> the port dependency list to fix it properly.
>
> Actually, when you install the Linux devtools, then what you
> get is a Linux binary search path inserted first.  This is
> actually the *wrong* thing, if what you want is to use the
> compiler to generate native FreeBSD binaries.

ACK.

> Probably, it would be best to handle the warnings, each on a
> case-by-case basis.
>
> Unless what you really want is to generate Linux binaries on
> FreeBSD?

The we have to provide a different icc port (linux_icc?) for it. The
actual port is specially designed to _not_ be able to produce linux
object files (some replacement headers get removed).

>> Also, the intel folks don't seem to understand csh syntax very well,
>> according to the last line of compiler50/ia32/bin/iccvars.csh, which
>> states:
>>
>> > setenv INTEL_FLEXLM_LICENSE=<INSTALLDIR>/licenses
>>
>> Oops - that should have been caught by QA.  Unfortunately, this file is
>> modified by pre-patch:, which means that a simple patch won't do the
>> trick if people decide to install the port in a different location.
>> Hmmm.
>>
>> I've mailed gnats about both of these problems, and have included
>> suggested fixes for each.
>
> I think this is just a "sed" path that is supposed to be replaced
> during the installation.  This is a probably bug in the FreeBSD
> install replacement, rather than an Intel bug.

No, it's an Intel bug. And it will be fixed in the next PORTREVISION
(I'm waiting a little bit to see if I need to do something for the C++
problem).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
              The best things in life are free, but the
                expensive ones are still worth a look.