Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 11:22:00 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Lost file space

Recently I noticed that the filesystem listed below is reported "full" while only at 90%
capacity (for the df -ik report below, it's almost at "full"). This did not used to be
the case AFAIK.

FWIW, this filesystem was built with 'newfs -f 512 -b 4096 -i 2048', and is mounted
'async local noatime'. In routine operation, there is very little write activity to this
filesystem.

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused  Mounted on

/dev/da1s1f   3563104  2941142   336913    90%  908255  733055    55%   /usr/www

There were a couple of power failures (faulty UPS, wouldn't you know!) and automatic
reboots at the colo 20 days ago. I can't say for sure if the problem arose then or
later, but I suspect it was later. I'm assuming since the system rebooted OK that the
filesystems were clean after the fsck.

A question in this connection: the dmesg output stops just before fsck runs towards the
end of the boot process - how can you get the fsck output logged?

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna