Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 20:53:35 +1000
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual boot - FreeBSD 3.4-R/Solaris 8

Thus spake Dutch Collins (dutch@charm.net):

> Has anyone tried to setup a dual boot, FreeBSD 3.4-R and Solaris 8. I
> would like to tinker with my 'free' Solaris on a 486/100. I am
> thinking of; a) two partitions on a single drive, b) BSD on wd0 and
> Solaris on wd2.

I used to have 3.4 on my system with Solaris 7. It now has 4.0-STABLE, Solaris
8 and Win 2k. I use the Solaris boot manager to choose which OS to boot.

If you have two drives, install Solaris on its own disk. That being said, I have
a single 18Gb SCSI drive, but the installation caused copious loss of blood
and sweat :-)

The Solaris web-install thingie will actually create two partitions. It's
prone to failure, though, and most people recommend the 'standard' install.

Don't even think about running Solaris on a 486. It'll basically be unusable.
Also, Solaris 8 discontinued ISA (and presumably VESA) bus support, so you'll
need a PCI machine to install anyway.

Regards,

Nick.