Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 09:58:33 -0500
From:      "Steven Brock" <brocks@webramp.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Totally Lost, <printer and desktop sestup>

Dear Support;

 Let it be known I am completely new to the Unix world. :)
I just downloaded what I thought was the complete package for FreeBSD.
I am missing some files, first is "gettext-0.10.35" trying to install
a desktop w/o this has proven to be futile. Could you please point me in the
right direction to obtain this file and where it needs to be located  on
the DOS partition.

Second, I tried to install/configure a printer.
I am missing /usr/src/sys (to compile a new kernal, is that right?)
I went into /stand/sysinstall  -- then Configure - Ditributions -- blah blah
until I get to the selecton to install /usr/src/sys
It says something to the effect that it can't find the correct port/package?
Do I need to download the "sources"? If so, could you please point me in the
right direction for this also.

Any help with either of these issues would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance.

P.S. is it very difficult to configure a modem in FreeBSD? If so,
some pointers would be welcome! I have a Davicom 33.6(hopefully this
isn't a winmodem 'cause my 56k is) And yes I have the Handbook for
FreeBSD, printed it even, :(

Steven Brock