Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 22:24:29 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Understanding FreeBSD CVS tags

Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net> types:
> I was reading the Handbook, and I just was wondering if someone can
> clarify something for me.  Considering that 4.4 has been released, I
> wasn't sure if I wanted to stick with RELENG_4 tag (which is the 4-STABLE)
> release tag or go with RELENG_4_4 tag.  Most people seem to go with the
> STABLE tag and ride things out until it becomes the next release.

Note that the RELENG_4_X tags were introduced with the 4.3 Release of
FreeBSD. Anyone who was running -STABLE on a system with few problems
is probably still doing so. Part of the idea behind the RELENG_4_X tag
was to provide security fixes to people who were happy with the
features in the release. You don't tend to hear a lot from people who
have a box that's quietly sitting there doing it's job.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but RELENG_4_4 implies that it's basically 4.4
> RELEASE with added security bugfixes?

That's correct.

> Does that include contributed software, such as Sendmail, which were
> found to have security flaws?

If they get fixed in -STABLE, they will almost certainly be fixed in
the security fixes branch.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.