Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 09:29:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, peter@jhome.DIALix.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Whew!!!!!!! (MAJOR sigh of relief!)

> >   I think you can make a much more general statement: "With few exceptions,
> >all of our SCSI drivers handle timeouts and aborts very badly."
>
> I think you can make a much more general statement: "With few exceptions,
> all of our drivers handle abnormal time-dependent things and abnormal errors
> very badly."  Sigh.

How about "with few exceptions, all software handles abnormal errors
very badly".

(HDA once had a problem with a client when we insisted that a
project should have no errors - all situations should be fully
tested, the behavior well defined and part of the acceptance test
and all other situations would freeze their machine - sort of a
panic and core dump.  This was interpreted by some as HD refusing
to handle errors)

I plan on plugging into the SCSI code with Justin shortly.  I am
finishing up a new rev of the GPIB driver that supports different
boards and modes, and check in and write man pages for three new
Data Acq drivers.

After that I plan on moving policy up out of the SCSI board drivers
and into the common code, hopefully reduce some of the common code
in the drivers, and adding common SCSI resource scheduling.

I have the 1542 and now the NCR covered (though I'm sure Stefan
will help with that) and Justin has the AHC.  It will be nice if
some others can step forward to pick up the other boards.

Given the time we have to spend on this I hope this can be done
around May 1.  If things change one way or the other I'll let you
know.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936