Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:53:28 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Vladislav S. Davidzon" <davidzon@metronet.lib.mi.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passing parameters

On Sun, Jan 18, 1998 at 06:20:09PM -0500, Vladislav S. Davidzon wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> Hmm.  The FreeBSD boot is different from the Linux boot, and I would
>> have said "you don't need that", but since you have difficulty
>> rebooting, that doesn't sound like the correct answer.
>>
>> Does your system have a reset button?  If so, are you saying that it
>> doesn't work?  How far do you get with the reboot before it hangs?
>>
>> There is a kernel option BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET, but before you go to
>> the trouble of building a new kernel, it would be good to know whether
>> it is likely to help.
>
> The reset button does the job, but for a terminal server thats not a very
> good option.  I have to be able to reboot it remotely.
>
> I can recompile the kernel, I've compiled this one, so it shouldn't be
> much of a problem.  How do I set that "broken keyboard reset" option? I
> did not see it when I configured the kernel.

It should be in the LINT configuration file.  See below for what to
add.

> The reboot says that the keyboard reboot failed, trying to do a cpu
> shutdown and then it dies.

That's the one.

Put this anywhere in your kernel configuration file:

--- snip ---
# BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET disables the use of the keyboard controller to
# reset the CPU for reboot.  This is needed on some systems with broken
# keyboard controllers.

options        BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET
--- snip ---

That should solve the problem.