Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 17:47:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Michael J Vukovich <spade!mjv@photon.photon.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Michael J Vukovich wrote:

> We have been trying to set up a HP Laserjet
> 4M Plus to print under FreeBSD. To this point
> we have not been able to stop the staircase
> effect from happening every time we print. We
> down-loaded the handbook and followed the
> instructions under the printing section and have
> gotten nowhere. The input filter does not appear
> to work (we used the exapmle filter included in
> the handbook and many modifications), and we have
> tried setting CRMOD and several other fixes in the
> printcap file as well. Any suggestions that we might
> try?

How odd, that the input filter would not work.  Have you doublechecked it
against the LaserJet manual and made sure that is the proper command
code?  I have a DeskJet 500C that exibits the same behavior, but the
sample worked fine.

You may try installing one of the filters that are available, such as
apsfilter and ... oh, there is another one that does more than apsfilter,
but i can't remember the name.  I have apsfilter and no staircase shows.

> Our only other recourse we be to get Linux or
> Solaris, since none of us have the time to waste
> writing our own code to get around this problem.

That would not be good.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant