Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 16:51:43 -0700
From:      "David Kulp" <dkulp@cse.ucsc.edu>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dream ultralight?...

I'm in the market for another laptop.  My old 120Mhz Toshiba is just
feeling too slow and the 1GB disk drive too limiting.  Perhaps someone
has a recommendation given the following specs and assuming price is
not a concern.

RAM: expandable > 128M
CPU: at least 300Mhz
Disk space: at least 4GB
Weight: prefer ultralight or at most 7lb
Keyboard: not too small, but slightly smaller than standard OK
Mouse: touchpad or stick, I don't care
Display: at least 12" TFT and 1024x768 (don't care about graphics card speed)
Ports: at least 1 PCMCIA and prefer built-in Ethernet
Battery Life: at least 2 hours (perhaps by means of an addtl battery)
Sound: I don't care. Not important.

I'd like it to be easy to install FreeBSD (or Linux if I must).

My use is scientific and network programming (perl, gnu c, xemacs),
email, and web browsing on the unix side and all those microsoft
office unproductivity programs on the windows side.  I want wavelan
wireless support.

So that's my dream machine spec.  The Sharp A290 sounds good, but it
seems that Sharp is in some strange state regarding its product lines
and availability.  The Fujitsu S-4542 also looks nice, but I don't
know about its unix compatibility.

Anyone have a suggestion?

thanks!
-d