Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 05:34:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      Tobias Fredriksson <c4@worldclass.jolt.nu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple interfaces on same subnet

I am about to setup a system with 2 diffrent networks and multiple
interfaces
on atleast one of the isp connections.

System specs are at the bottom.

Now to my questions.
The server will most probably be utilizing 2 Intel PRO/100+ Dual Port
Server Adapter all ports being used the system must be able to send
800mbit and recieve 800mbit at a maximum, estimated average is around
200mbit/s, over these two cards alone. These two card will server an
"internal" network in our city so input/output rates are very important
over these two.
The other network adapter which will cover country wide will be an Intel
PRO/1000 E Server Adapter, data from all over the country will be sent
through this one card and the maximum throughput will ever be 100mbit/s so
this shall be more than enough.

Will the Intel PRO/100+ Dual Port Server Adapters meet our demands? How do
i best configure the system for load-balancing over these two cards?
When having multiple interfaces on the same subnet, i have noticed alot of
kernel messages like "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is on fxp0".
How do i prevent this from happening since this will most probably slow
down the server with lots of writes to the logs files and consequently
the drives ;)

System specs:
AMD K7 Thunderbird 800mhz+
512MB PC133 SDRAM or 768MB PC100 SDRAM
Adaptec SCSI Card 39160 (Dual Channel Ultra160 SCSI card supporting
30 devices), is this card supported by FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE?
Atleast 4 or 5 Seagate SCSI 68 pin 73400MB Ultra160 (16MB Cache), has
anybody used these and can they give me any good reasons why I should
use/or not use these.
If i shall not use these i will most probably go with 8 or 10 IBM SCSI 68
pin 36700MB Ultra-160 36LZX