Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 10:50:32 -0400
From:      Michael Adler <Michael.Adler@compaq.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: Preliminary Tuning man page (was Re: Benchmarking FreeBSD (was ...))

Thank you for the tuning page!  I and, I fear, others made the mistake of
assuming that because SOFTUPDATES is in the kernel that it is automatically
enabled for the disks.  Nothing printed during boot leads me to believe
otherwise and no mention was made of checking the flag using tunefs in
/usr/src/UPDATING.  My drives formatted with standard methods in the past
had soft updates disabled.

Perhaps there should be a message somewhere prominent encouraging people to
check whether their drives really have soft updates enabled.  It would also
be useful if something during boot showed whether a mount would be using
soft updates.

-Michael