Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2006 16:53:58 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@alaskaparadise.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Valen Jones <valen@winterhill.net>
Subject:   Re: Major Version Upgrade - 4.11 to 5.x

--nextPart2079962.lYotq00EbR

On Sunday 10 December 2006 15:41, Valen Jones wrote:
> I'm interested in upgrading from 4.11 to 5.x.  I currently track 4.x
> stable using cvsup, but I've never done a major version upgrade.
>
> First, should I bother?  My hardware has dual pentium 1.13 processors
> with 1G ram (I'm considering maxing it out at 4).  I host a few domains
> on this machine and I have four jails configured on it which will have
> to be upgraded too.  I have users counting particularly on mail service
> not being down for too long.
>
> Other than the obvious advice to start with a good backup, can anyone
> tell me:
>
> 1)  Will I gain a major benefit from upgrading
Yes, all development and support for 4.x will cease in a couple of months.

> 2)  Where should I look for instructions / advice on upgrading
The handbook,, search the lists and read UPGRADING.

> 3)  Also any general advice from personal experience.
If you're going to upgrade you might as well run 6.x. 5.x tended to be=20
problematic and 6.x is far more stable in my opinion. The ideal way is to d=
o=20
a clean install. For one thing the filesystem has undergone significant=20
improvements which you won't have the benefit of unless you clean install.=
=20
Other than that consider doing a binary upgrade, otherwise you will have to=
=20
upgrade to 5.x before going to 6.x. Search this list as this exact subject=
=20
came up a few days ago with some fairly detailed responses. Also, you shoul=
d=20
plan on rebuilding ALL your ports even if your running compat 4.

Good luck,

Beech=20

=2D-=20
Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech@alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com