Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:10:42 PDT
From:      "Peter Dilley" <petermct@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crontab Format questions

Hello I was suggested to forward my email question here. I am not sure if
this is a list or just email forum. If it is, I am not on it so my email
address is petermct@hotmail.com

If you could respond to the list and carbon copy my email that would be best
for answering all parties involved.

I got two suggestions given to me so far.

One - Run the dyndns update with cron twice a month. Problem is it may
trigger frequent update abuse on dyndns service and disable the account
(pretty  sad isn't it).

Two - Run a script once a day that checks a files datestamp.

My best educated guess on the "logic" to this approach is a bash script that
somehow looks at some file for a datestamp. If today's date is 28 days or
more from the file datestamp, delete the file, run the dyndns update
program, create a new file.

That takes care of the logic of the script but only being a few days new to
bash I havn't the clue on how to translate the logic into bash/script
commands to do the logic. GRR!

Yeah I check the man pages (both of them) didn't learn much. Thought to run
hourly I go to the hour section and put */24 (all hours devide by 24) nope
didn't work.. Turns out it was a 0 in the minute section of crontab.
Apparently that fires off every hour when the minute = zero.