Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 16:56:55 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall error adding disks..

On 7 Jun 2001, at 19:34, Bill Moran boldly uttered:

> Have you updated your system?
> The handbook recommends that you do a MAKEDEV all each time you upgrade.
> This is because, although the devices are already there, the OS may have
> changed something about them, and recreating them brings them up to
> date. That could be your problem.
> It's just as important as running mergemaster.
>
> -Bill

Yep, I always do that.  Actually the first time you run mergemaster
these days, it does it for you. (assuming you say yes)

I'm a relative FreeBSD newbie, but I believe that when you add a new
disk, it may need new device entries for it.  The weird thing in this
case is that I saw no obvious difference in the /dev directory before
or after running "MAKEDEV all". (well no completely new entries.  I
couldn't do a simple diff on the "ls -l", because all the datestamps
were changed for each item too.  Someday maybe I'll write a fancier
script..)

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium