Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:20:20 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X 4.0.2 and sysmouse

I recently upgraded to X 4.0.2 and encountered the same problem others
have with using moused and /dev/sysmouse in X.  Apparantly, something
changed in 4.0.2 that broke the previously working mouse driver
configuration.  Previously, I used this in my mouse definition section
of XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "SysMouse"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option "Buttons"    "5"
EndSection

Other messages have mentioned that you can fix the problems by changing
"SysMouse" to "MouseSystems".  However, this is not very satisfactory,
as you lose the wheel buttons.  I found that changing "SysMouse" to
"Auto" allows X to correctly detect the mouse protocol and also detect
the wheel buttons.

I hope this helps others who are upgrading to XF86 4.0.2.

/Joe