Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:28:07 -0800
From:      "oldfart@gtonet" <oldfart@gtonet.net>
To:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: strange messages

Yeah, luckily, I run FreeBSD so I don't have to reboot much and most
exploits are for Linux. }:-)> It's not bad(TM) to block all ports that you
don't need open, anyway, and since I only NFS to my local LAN blocking it
sounded right. I mainly wanted to see if that would stop the error messages
in question. A more permanent solution can be implemented at a later date.
Can those RPC services be FORCED to run on a certain port or is that just
superfluous because portmapper is blocked? It would make
filtering/logging/reporting/busting easier.

Thanks,

OF