Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 18:08:30 -0500
From:      "Roger Williams" <rogerw1962@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   error with devascii in installworld

Hello....again,
I posted this before and was told it might not be the right place to post
it.  Well, after doing some research and experiments I believe it is correct
to post here.
  I am wondering why I get this error when I try to buildworld with ANY
version. (4.2, 4.4 cds) It installs fine from the cd but when I go to 'make
world' I get this error shown below.
  I have installed on many machines with no errors.  I have a list I follow
to do the set up so I know they are set up virtually identical (except for
hardware requirements)  I even set up this machine and another machine
simultaneously and one succeeds one fails.
  I have seen OLD (1998) posts about this subject but they ended up doing a
quick hack and I am not a C programmer and I am not sure if the hack is
pertinent.
  Any help would be cool, im going NUTS here...LOL
Yes, expr is in my path.

Roger
<snip>
===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii
Making R
expr: not found
*** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.