Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:42:44 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@shift.lan.awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Andrew Gierth <andrew@erlenstar.demon.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Backspace = ^H

Personally on my systems I fix this in xterm and the like by having
the BackSpace keysym generate a DEL character.  I do this for emacs
and always stty erase ^? in my .cshrc files.  I do this so that the
*STUPID* Motif binaries work w/o me having to do stupid things for
them.  I use this solution in preference to the xmodmap solution
because I generally only care about this working in X terms.  Emcas
groks BackSpace when run under X, so I'm happy with that.

Since I can't run a text console due to the old Sun monitor I use, I
don't bother much with making sure that is sane.

Does this make sense for system defaults?  Likely not given where BSD
has been.  What I have works for me, but would likely confuse people.

As you can tell, I'm from the DEL is delete-backward-character camp.
Must be related to that bumper sticker on my car: "VMS Forever."  :-)

Warner