Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:40:19 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB hub detach causing panic in 4.7p3?!

I have a USB hub that's built into my Viewsonic PT775 monitor.  The hub
works fine, and has worked fine for years in Windows, Linux, and
FreeBSD.  The USB hub is only attached to the rest of the USB bus when
the monitor is on, so turning the monitor on or off produces the
expected uhub attach/detach noticed.  On Friday (Jan 10), I cvsupped and
recompiled to upgrade from 4.7p2 to 4.7p3.  Prior to this upgrade, I
know that the attach/dettach process worked without problems.  As of
about 5pm today, turning the monitor off causes this result (please
forgive typos, this is a transcription, though I'm over 99.9% sure the
numbers are correct):

uhub1: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
uhub1: detached

fault virtual addres    = 0x3
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc031fe04
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc0250fb0
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc0250fc4
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = Idle
interrupt mask          = bio
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks...

fault virtual address   = 0x30
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc01c2498
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc0250d98
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc0250da0
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = Idle
interrupt mask          = bio
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 3m57s
--> Press a key on the console to reboot,
--> or switch off the system now.

Nothing is plugged into the hub at the time.  This seems to be a
reliable panic in that I got the exact same panic when I switch the
monitor off again later after having warm rebooted.

I can't say beyond now vs. before Friday if the upgrade to 4.7p3 caused
the problem or not.  Nor can I say for sure that the problem existed
between Friday and today, as I can't recall if I had turned off the
monitor while running FreeBSD between now and then (I reboot between
FreeBSD and Windows multiple times per day).

I made sure to delete the contens of /usr/obj/usr and run make cleandir
twice before compiling 4.7p3, and I've made no other changes to the
system configuration beyond adding a couple of X programs
(x11-fm/asfiles and x11-fm/endeavour).

I'm going to try a few more things, like plugging and unplugging the hub
with the monitor on, as well as plugging and unplugging devices from
both the root hub and the hub in the monitor to see if it's more
general, or if it's just something wrong with the uhub detach routine.

Is this a known problem or does anyone have any suggestions for tracking
down this problem?