Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:58:02 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Matthew Tomsa <mtomsa@epix.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

Matthew Tomsa wrote:
> What is the difference between RELEASE versions, STABLE versions, and
> CURRENT versions?  I've done some reading but I'm still a bit confused.
> Thanks.

-CURRENT is alpha.

-STABLE is supposed to be the leading edge of functionality yet be stable
enough for production use; it should be treated as a late beta.  In other
words, test it before deploying in production, because sometimes, perhaps a day
or two per month, -STABLE contains problems or breakage.

Every few months, the project makes an effort to stabilize the source tree
(including ports and docs), generates a release candidate or two, and then
pushes out a RELEASE by tagging the -STABLE branch.  A -RELEASE or security
branch is intended for production use because it has undergone such testing,
and is updated with security patches and critical fixes only after such changes
have been tested in -CURRENT or -STABLE.

If you don't know what to run, run the security branch (ie, RELENG_5_4).

--
-Chuck